RIP Bernie Wrightson

Discussion in 'Burke's Bastion' started by il ragno, Mar 20, 2017.

1. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,322 / 29 / -85
    A truly sad day and, for any horror/comic art fan over 50, a sobering double-expresso shot of our own mortality.

Just found this out and I'm still too shocked to comment much. So I've collated a small portfolio of Bernie's great and sure to be timeless artwork to speak for me.

Rest in peace, maestro!
    MARCH 19, 2017
    A Message from Liz Wrightson
    It is with great sorrow that I must announce the passing of my beloved husband, Bernie. We thank you for all the years of love and support. His obituary is below:

After a long battle with brain cancer, legendary artist Bernie Wrightson has passed away.

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG] [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 179,187 Points Mar 22, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,322 / 29 / -85
    Addendum:
    1. Examine his astonishing technique and then consider: he was almost-completely self-taught (like Wally Wood)....learning from copying comic books, and answering one of those 'can-you-draw-me' pirate ads that ran for years in a zillion magazines.

2. If you can get ahold of that FRANKENSTEIN book he did (it's recently been affordably reprinted), get it: you'll understand how someone could turn down all work for seven years to complete a 'mere' 50 pen-and-ink illustrations. He often complained that completing FRANKENSTEIN 'took his eyes', and in fact, when he returned to 'regular' publishing, his work - though still great-looking - was much simpler, as FRANKENSTEIN burned him out and left him with physical ailments that precluded any more obsessive attention to minute detail.

3. Like most great illustrators and comic artists, the bulk of his income came from Hollywood - and his least creative work, that no one will ever see: concept drawings, storyboards, production art, countless character sketches, often for movies that never get made, or eventually emerge, 1/10th the budget, direct to Bulgarian dvd.

4. If you can't find FRANKENSTEIN, look for a career-retrospective called BERNI WRIGHTSON: A LOOK BACK. Outstanding in every respect.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Blitzed: 31,791 Points (Answered one of those ads once, out of Boy's Life iirc.) Mar 20, 2017
    Bluto: 179,187 Points Mar 22, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List